1

I accidentally spilled some Chem-Dip on my garage floor, and there seems to be a residual odor that we would like to remove. What can we do to clean this up?

asked October 23, 2012
BPfan
Score: 165
answer

2 Answers


1
accepted

The odor you are experiencing is coming from an ingredient in the blend known as cresylic acid. This chemical is one of the primary carbon breaking and softening items used in the formulation of this product. Cresylic acid is also one of the hardest odors to get rid of. Our best results have occurred by soaking the affected area with isopropyl alcohol. As the alcohol evaporates it can help draw the cresylic acid from the pores of the concrete to the surface where it can be absorbed in paper towels or floor absorbent. A couple of applications will generally take out most of the odor. Always use caution when dealing with alcohol. Do not smoke or expose to heat or spark. Always use Chem-Dip in a well-ventilated area.

chemtooler
chemtooler
Score: 2,190

0

Open windows and doors and use fans to provide adequate ventilation. Avoid excess inhalation of fumes. Remove any materials from the spill site that may have absorbed the chemical. Using rubber gloves, apply paper towels, floor absorbent, or kitty litter to the spill area and discard into a plastic garbage bag or suitable container.

Pour isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol, available at most grocers, pharmacies, and paint stores) to the spill area and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. The quick evaporation of the alcohol will actually create a vacuum effect on the pores of the concrete or wood floor. This vacuum will help draw the “odor creating” material (cresylic acid) to the surface. While still wet, absorb the alcohol with paper towels and discard. Repeat this process several times to ensure maximum absorption of the chemical.

chemtooler
chemtooler
Score: 2,190